“Whilst in Manchester I really got to develop my MSK physiotherapy skills and further develop my interests in sports and exercise rehabilitation. Additionally Manchester was a vibrant and wonderful place to experience.”
Within MSK Shibin’s area of interest involves management of low back injuries, sacroiliac dysfunction, nerve related issues, knee and hamstrings injuries, ACL rehabilitation, patellofemoral disorders, management of ankle injuries, management of shoulder adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder), rotator cuff tears and post fracture rehabilitation. Shibin adopts an holistic approach in treating his patients, and he uses a culmination of hands on (manual therapy) and exercise prescriptions along with other modalities. His treatment involves a systematic way of diagnosing the condition or injury and identifying any potential red flags, thereby addressing the dysfunction by means of manual therapy with combined movements. Shibin gives the utmost priority to patient well being and to deliver quality care to the patient in a most comfortable setting.
“Helping patients and relieving their pain and improving their function gives me immense pleasure, and this I believe is the most fascinating part about my profession. I cherish drawing comfort in the fact that I contribute to making people’s lives easier and each day I sleep with a notion of satisfaction of having been able to help someone in need. Moreover, my aspiration is to not just to be a solution for a single problem, but also, a guide for the future and a healer for the past.”
As part of Shibin’s master’s degree, he completed his research project on the “Effects of touch rugby match play on changes in hamstring function”. This was a quantitative study on international and regional touch rugby players. The project was well received by all faculties and will be published soon.
During Shibin’s bachelors & master’s degrees and experience in hospital & private practice, he has gained core competencies and passions in:
- Management of emergency sports injuries
- Management of low back injuries
- Management of knee joint and hamstring injuries
- Manual therapy
- Strength and conditioning
- Deep tissue release
- Instrument assisted sports massage
- Joint mobilization
- Complex ankle injury management
- Shoulder rehabilitation
- Stroke rehabilitation
- Head injury management and rehab
- Pulmonary rehab
- Cerebral palsy and spasticity management
- Fitness advice and training
- Exercise’s prescription
- Athletic training
On a personal note Shibin is a calm and an optimistic person. He likes to spend time with family and friends and he loves travelling. Over the last few years that has been affected by the pandemic. However recently he got an opportunity to solo travel across Scotland and he is looking forward to more adventurous journeys in future. Being from Kerala the land of backwaters, serine misty mountains and wildlife, he likes to enjoy nature in its pure physical form. A long walk through the park or a bike ride through the woods back home helps to energize him to the fullest. Shibin is also a fitness enthusiastic and love training and exercise. He follow’s football, cricket, tennis and recently took interest in MMA and cycling.
Out of many things in his bucket list, watching a cricket match at the iconic Lord’s stadium and watching the three lions at Wembley are two important things Shibin wishes to do in the near future. Shibin continuously strives for excellence in his work, in order to provide the most effective care for all patients and is continuously looking to expand his knowledge in medical acupuncture and shockwave therapy.
Additionally Shibin has completed the following CPD training and has qualifications in:
- “DART (Disaster Assistance & Response Team)” organized by the Directorate of Home Guards, Civil Defense, Fire & Emergency Services – Karnataka, India – 2013
- “Manual therapy in a clinical reasoning perspective”- Dr. K Pearlson MPT (Aus) at Padmashree clinic – Nagarbhavi, Bangalore, India 2016
- “Aqua aerobics and aqua fitness”- Dr. Prachi Shah Arora (Indian Institute of Physiotherapist Training (IIPT)) – Bangalore, India – 2018
- “Maitland based manual therapy” conducted by Prof. Steven Milanese (sports physio), Director, International Centre for Allied Health, University of South Australia – 2019
- “Structural spinal deformities- Practical guidelines and current strategies”- Dr Naveen Kumar Balne, Senior faculty, College of Physiotherapy, Nizam’s institute of medical sciences – Hyderabad, India 2019
- “Team physician and sports rehab course” during the 40th annual conference of Indian Association of Sports Medicine (IASM) – Bangalore, India – 2019.
- “Strength and conditioning and return to sports” during the 40th Annual Conference of Indian Association of Sports Medicine (IASM) – Bangalore, India – 2019